Sunday, December 2, 2007

Behavioral Targeting

This is the term used for what I wrote about on Facebook before. Advertising companies who are bordering on privacy lines who deposit tiny data files on personal computers to keep track of what people surf on the internet so they can try to sell things better to them.

" The research company eMarketer projects that spending on behavioral targeting will nearly double to $1 billion next year and hit $3.8 billion by 2011. "

WOW.

"Read enough golf articles online and a data file will be put on your computer labeling you a golf fan. When you're on a Web site on cooking, don't be surprised if ads for golf clubs follow you there."

SCARY.

I have experience with this since I travel so much. I am always looking for the best deals to fly places and I get ads and e-mails from online advertisers who I never subscribed with letting me know the best deals of flights to places I had previously searched like Budapest and Munich. I never even think about it and when I do, I just assume that I had not deleted my "cookies" on my computer and the ads were just following me.

If it means saving money for me, then the ads can follow me all they want. But if these ads were following me to sites I needed to go to for school work or something unrelated to travel then I would start getting annoyed.

By Lauren Darmody

No comments: