Sunday, September 16, 2007

Facebook and trash news, revisited!

Can I go back to Facebook?? Is that allowed? I’m sorry, I just started reading everyone’s posts and I just wanted to put some thoughts down...

Facebook - I didn't realize how commercial it was getting either. That actually took me by surprise. I didn't really get into Facebook until well after everyone else did. I remember sitting in a freshman comm class playing along while everyone raved about it. I wasn't a MySpace user either until my two best friends moved away and it was just easier to communicate that way. But by the time I got really into Facebook, it was already open to more than just college students, which is what I was promised. People could start registering with high schools and now you can join any network you want in any city I suppose. I guess it's just Mr. Facebook wanting to expand his publics, which now include everyone under the sun. Anyone who wants one can have one! Where there is a will, there is a Facebook. It sucks that limited profiles can be seen from outside sites. What the heck? It’s a tad unfortunate that what once seemed like an innocent networking site (WHOA, remember Friendster, guys??) is yet another way for someone out there to make money off of our demographic – the computer savvy teenage/college kids. Haven’t we (or our parents) given them enough money from iPods, Sidekicks, and Nano pets? I mean, Nintendo Wiis?! We are the target of many American markets. The world is at our fingertips, for a price, of course. Do we love or hate being the cash cow? So, they’ve opened up Facebook to the public to gain more popularity and revenue, what’s the next step? How could they possibly get more money? They start charging the kids! Okay, that’s extreme. But regardless, once they start making me pay for my MySpace or Facebook account, it’s over. And by that I mean, I’ll probably just delete my accounts. But I don’t think they’ll miss me.

On another note, the Kanye vs. 50 cent crap drives me crazy. I felt a lump rise in my throat when I got my new issue of Rolling Stone in the mail a couple of weeks ago. For those who haven’t seen it, its Kanye West and 50 Cent facing off (individually photographed and Photoshopped in that pose, I’m sure), with the headline – “Who will be the king of hip-hop?” As a hip hop and not a hip pop fan, I was devastated. Is it REALLY between these two guys? Seriously? I can’t believe that made news. I would have rather revisited the heartbreak of the 9/11 tragedies this past Tuesday. It means a heck of a lot more to me than the record sales of two hideously overpaid entertainers. I would've paid more attention if the rivalry meant so much to the two men because all of their proceeds were going to a cause to make the world a better place. Why don't we hear about either of those two men, or Britney, or Lindsay, or Ryan Seacrest doing something awesome for the world that they don't benefit from? Why doesn't THAT make news? Oh, cause they don't do anything awesome for the world that they don't benefit from? Or at least, not enough? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they have to get their own problems solved first. Like how to get the diamonds out of their vacuum cleaners, or the twenty dollar bills unclogged from their kitchen sinks.


-Vanessa Castle

No comments: