Thursday, September 13, 2007

Facebook, etc.

Touching on the facebook blog post, I can't believe that. I did not know they expanded so much. I was against myspace for a long time until my friend introduced me to Facebook saying "Oh, it's so different from myspace. It's not as creepy...etc." So voluntarily, my friend set up a facebook account for me. Little did I know that facebook was going to expand so much to basically turn into myspace with a different name. That scares me now that you don't have to be a registered college student to be allowed on facebook but just someone from the general public with a e-mail address. The internet allows you to search basically anything you want and if you are able to search people who are on facebook through a google search, I think something needs to be done about that.

Facebook also has its positive points too throughout the creepiness that has evolved around it. I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain last semester and traveled all throughout Europe for 5-6 months. It's funny how little I collected e-mail accounts compared to facebook accounts. EVERYONE is on facebook that I met all throughout Europe. If I had a nickel for everytime I got asked, "Yeah we should exchange e-mails....wait, do you have a facebook account?" It has allowed me to keep in touch from people who live in Texas all the way to Sweden. I think it is cool because it is a very casual way to keep in touch with someone and actually lets you keep in touch with them because you can look at pictures they posted and keep up with their lives.

There are so many applications to use on the internet today that allow you to keep in touch with people. There are so many messenging services available now, and what is good about them is that they are free and easy! A really cool thing that I was introduced to when I was over there was Skype. You can use it like a messenging service, or you can speak through the computer by calling someone using it like a phone. If someone else has a Skype account (again, its free and easy!) you can speak to them for free with headphones or a microphone. It's a great alternative to talking on the cellphone because if that other person lives in another country, chances are you are going to pay a huge bill or you are going to have to keep purchasing calling cards.

The internet has really progessed with all these applications. I am so glad to been introduced to these things because it makes it possible to have friends in other countries and not have to wait for e-mails, etc.

By, Lauren Darmody

No comments: