Sunday, November 2, 2008

Another reason to get a DVR

On Thursday it was announced that the owners of the latest TiVo DVRs will soon be able to watch movies and TV shows streamed from Netflix.  The two companies will begin testing the service, by having a portion of their customers try the service.   They then plan to roll it out to hundreds of thousands of TiVo customers by early December.  
Netflix is aiming to make its download service available to as many consumers as possible, said company spokesman Steve Swasey.  However, he did not ass what portion of Netflix's 8.7 million subscribers are also TiVo subscribers.  "The whole idea is to grow the service," Swasey said.  "We want to keep our members and attract new members."  
For TiVo, the deal allows it to better differentiate its DVRs from the typically less costly ones offered by cable and satellite TV service providers.  
The deal follows similar agreements that both Netflix and TiVo have signed with other companies.  Earlier this year, Roku, a Saratoga-based start-up device maker, launched its Netflix players, a $100 set-top box whose only feature is the ability to stream Netflix videos a consumers' TVs.  
My family just got a DVR for the first time and I feel like it was a very great investment.  I don't have much free time but I have a few shows that I like to watch.  With this product I am able to watch it when I do have a free minute and even fast forward through the commercials.  I would not be interested in the Netflix part of this offer but I am still a fan of the DVR.  
- Carly Youngren

No comments: